THE LAND FAMILY

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Daniel and the Doctor

I picked up Daniel from school early today to go to his cleft palate surgeon (he does this once a year). After waiting about an hour to see the doctor, his nurse took us into his exam room. In this room there was one toy that was hanging on the wall and a People magazine from May, 2009! She announced that the doctor would see us in about 15 minutes. I thought "uh-oh" as I looked around the barren room. The wall toy entertained Daniel for about 1 minute and then he was ready to leave. I was able to distract him with piggy back rides and looking outside of a window at a crane of a construction job that was in process. Finally the doctor arrived and Daniel was so charming. He told the Dr. all about the crane and they had a great conversation. A couple minutes into the examination, Daniel decided it was time to leave. I told him to wait and we would leave soon. He was not happy with my answer and proceeded to empty out his entire Toy Story back pack all over the floor. As we continued to talk, Daniel whined and complained that he wanted to go. He even tried to open the door himself but was denied access by another Dr. in the room. I then picked him up in my arms and he started to pinch me and spit at the doctor (luckily he doesn't really know how to spit yet) and he was given a choice to stop or get a time out, he chose to stop. We continued our conversation and as were finishing, Daniel punched the Dr. in his waist (luckily he is three and isn't that strong yet). This time he got a time out.

2 comments:

  1. Remember the days when we used to get to sit and read a People magazine? It's amazing the things us parents come up with to entertain our children in a doctor's office. We stare out the window and count cars, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is so funny because I was trying to read that old May, 2009 People magazine. Couldn't even do that:)!

    ReplyDelete