THE LAND FAMILY

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Our new life as a family of four!

Wednesday, May 19th

We are adjusting pretty well compared to what I thought would happen.  Daniel is enjoying being the big brother and calls Evan, "brother".  Yesterday he said "I love you brother".  It is very cute but in the back of my mind I am wondering how long this is going to last.  I will enjoy it as long as I can.

Evan let me hold him on the first day.  Brian had to go to the bathroom and he set Evan in his crib.  Evan cried for Brian and I just picked him up and he stopped crying!  I couldn't believe it.  I held him on the bed and played with him for an hour.  Daniel was napping the entire time so it was a great opportunity to bond with him.  He still prefers Brian but is willing to tolerate me:).

Yesterday was pretty stressful.  We spent the morning with our guide, a representative from the orphanage and several notaries making the adoption legal.  I had to fill out more paperwork and answer questions about Evan's care.  I had to assure them that we would provide for Evan the same as if he was our biological child and not abuse or neglect him.  They asked us if we were satisfied with him and if he met our expectations.  We had to pay fees for the notary and other things so we had to exchange some money.  Brian went to the front desk of the hotel to make the exchange and came back with a hotel employee.  The hotel refused to exchange our money because the said it was "dirty".  I was annoyed and offended because I went to the bank to get new money before we left the States.  Our guide took me to a local bank where I was able to make the exchange and she delivered the money for us.  It was a lot of chaos but it is done!  We do get to
visit the orphanage and that will happen on Thursday.  I am very excited to go and hope that it won't be too upsetting for Evan.  The representative from the orphanage exchanged emails with me and wants to stay in touch.  She has asked me to send lots of pictures of Evan. 

After nap time, we took to the streets of Hohhot.  The sun came out today and the haze was lifted and we could see the mountains.  I had forgotten that there were mountains because we couldn't see them.  It is beautiful and we have a wonderful view of the city out of our window.  We decided to take the boys to McDonald's (their food is the same here as in the US, I know it's pretty sad but we are desperate).  Daniel fell asleep in his stroller and we passed a Pizza Hut on the way to McDonald's so we decided to eat there instead of McDonald's.  It was wonderful (really, we are desperate).  Daniel slept through the entire dinner while Evan ate fried rice.  We bought the dish for both of the boys but Evan ate almost all of it by himself. 

 It is probably in bad taste but I took a picture of the squatty potty in the restroom.  Most of the places we go have these and one or two regular toilets to use.  I got Daniel to use one the other day and he ran out of the bathroom yelling "I did it everybody"!  Our hotel room has the sit down toilet and you find this kind of toilet in public restrooms.

After the restaurant we walked to a park and then back to our hotel.  Before we got back to the hotel we stopped at a salon to have Daniel's hair cut.  While his hair style is appropriate for the US in China it is too long.  Many people think he is a girl because of his hair style.  Looking at the little girls, they are right.  Daniel hates to have his haircut so I bribed him with the promise of a new toy (I know, not a good idea).  He decided that he wanted an Iron Man toy and did great for his haircut.  He didn't cry even once but kept asking "Am I done now"?  The hair cut cost 5 Yuan which is less than a dollar!  He looks cute but it is a lot shorter than I normally have it cut.  

Now that the haircut was done we were on a mission for a toy.  I knew there was no way we were going to find an Iron Man toy so I was hoping we could find something else he would enjoy.  Daniel asked to go to Walmart for his Iron Man toy and I told him that they didn't have a Walmart so he said "let's go to Target".  We did find a cute shop that sells baby supplies and he found a wooden fishing game that he and Evan have been playing with.  

We walked back to our hotel but I think I have aged a little because of the traffic.  It is scary crossing the street because no one stops for you and right turns are made with out stopping.  You have to be alert and run fast.  I am certain the locals are getting enjoyment out of  watching us cross their streets.

Today we are going to see a museum and eat at a local restaurant.  I am excited to do some sight seeing! 

6 comments:

  1. I look at the pic of you in bed holding Evan next to Daniel napping. I think about the dorm days and our Piggy blankets. How I was a slob and you were the neat freak. I look at the pic again and think "there she is with a box of Nilla Wafers and bottled water and sprite and some other stuff and I think, "hmmmm....it took two small boys to rid her of the 'neat freak' persona". THANK HEAVENS FOR LITTLE BOYS!

    When do you come home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these pictures are just too wonderful not to comment and let you know how much we are thinking of you - wow - how great - thanks for the terrific blog to allow us to watch alittle of this special time - we love you 4! Love, all the Lowe's

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for giving us a glimpse of your new life as a family of 4! So glad Evan has decided you are 'tolerable.' He'll soon learn just how awesome you are!! Love the photos, and you know you're keeping us in tears... thankful, happy tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again Kirsten! How fun to read and see the photos! And, fyi, Jarrett and Cara were immediately close in China and I wondered, as you do, when J was going to get tired of his little sister and his sweetness toward her would stop. Well, today, over 2 yrs later, he still says that Cara is his best friend. He does get annoyed w/ he sometimes and she gets a kick out of deviling him, but they are very close still. He even lets her play w/ him and his friends after school at the park. It's a blessing for sure and I pray the same for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsten, I just had to tell you how much I LOVED seeing the photo of you cuddling with Evan. He looks very content and is more than tolerating you, I'm sure. It won't be long! So happy to see you as a family of four. All our best to Brian and the boys (see now it will always be you, Brian and "the boys" just like it is "the girls" for us - don't you LOVE IT!).

    God bless and thanks for sharing your amazing journey,

    Tricia, Eric & the Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirsten, we are loving following along with you, reading about how everything is going and of course, seeing the pictures! SO happy for your family!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete